Wisdom is not usually the first thing out of my mouth; but it is the only language God speaks. So, if we want more of his wisdom coming out of us, we need to be putting more of it in us in a way that makes it stick. Because sometimes, let’s face it, situations hit us that don’t allow time to leisurely look up what God has to say about a subject. But if I’ve memorized a verse or two related to the situations I regularly face, I’m equipped to respond wisely. So, I’m embarking on something that is a bit out of my comfort zone and I’d love for you to join me in the adventure.
I’ve Joined a Scripture Memory Team and Want You to Come Along Too
I have decided to participate in Beth Moore’s Siesta Scripture Memory Team. And because she is such a huge proponent of getting God’s Word into people’s hearts and minds, I doubt she would mind if we did something similar over here on this little blog.
Okay, I have a confession to make. I struggle with memorizing Scripture. I’ve diligently studied God’s Word for over 20 years, but have never been committed to memorizing verses. However, some haphazard attempts over the past few years have shown me how important and helpful it is to have some key verses tucked away in my heart. Doing so means God’s instruction is there when I need it.
Basically, here is how this Scripture Memory Team thing works. On the 1st and the 15th of each month, Beth posts the verse she will be memorizing over the next two week period. Then everyone else on the Siesta Scripture Memory Team (SSMT) leaves a comment on her blog with their name, location, and verse.
She is inviting the whole team to come to Houston next January for a special gathering. There, we will each recite some of our memorized verses to another member of the team. You can read all of her detailed instructions for her SSMT over on her blog. That is also where you would register to be on her SSMT.
If you want to do this with me, you have two options:
- Register and participate on both blogs (Beth’s and mine).
- Register only on this blog.
Here is the quick overview of what you will need to know to do this with me:
- If you want to attend Beth’s event in Houston, you must register and participate on both blogs.
It is fine if you want to just participate here on the Making It Real Ministries blog, but how fun would it be for a group of us to be able to meet up in January 2016 at her huge event and hang out? So, register over on her blog if you want to be a part of that event. (If enough of us participate on this blog, we could plan our own event in the Austin/Georgetown area in addition to the Houston event).
You register by leaving a comment as described in step 3.
- Every two weeks, you will pick whatever verse you want to memorize. It doesn’t have to be the same as mine (or Beth’s). Choose the verses that will help you in the situations you regularly face.
- On the Monday on or following the 1st and 15th, I will post my verse and then you leave a comment on that post that provides your name, your location, and your verse. You will type out your verse and then give the “Scripture address” and the translation from which you are reading.
Here is an example using my verse for this first two weeks: Laura Naiser; Georgetown, Texas; “All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are beneficial. “All things are lawful for me,” but I will not be dominated by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12, ESV
- You are always free to use the verse I (or Beth) use, but it will be most powerful and useful if you select verses pertinent to your life.
- Over on Beth’s blog over 15,000 people participate, so you can only leave that information in your comment; nothing else. However, over here feel free to tell us why you chose your verse if you like or anything else that is on your heart. It is one of the benefits of being part of a smaller community.
- Get a little index card spiral and write your verses into it every two weeks. This will be your ticket to the event in Houston if you are part of Beth’s SSMT.
If you’re joining in after January and want a spiral cover or verse cards, hit the Scripture Memory Team button located just above this post and it will open all of the Scripture Memory Team Verse posts with the most recent on top. On that post there will be a free download with 3×5 images of each one of my verses plus a cover for the spiral.)
- Anyone who gets their verse posted in the comments for 21 of the 24 times over the course of the year will be eligible to attend the January 16, 2016 event (and any Making It Real Ministries Team event we decide to do in the Austin area).
- You can join the group at any time during the year here on my blog! Just leave your comments (as described in step 3) for each week you want to participate.
- If you come to either event, be prepared to recite 10 of your 24 verses. You get to choose which 10. You’ll be paired up with another team member and you’ll recite to each other. No worries, though. We will be very encouraging and offer heaping helpings of grace and maybe even some hints to help you if you get stuck.
Are you in?
I hope you know how much this community of people means to me. It is a huge privilege to get to serve you. So, I would be thrilled to no end if you come alongside me on this trip outside my comfort zone.
Jump on board now! Leave your name (first and last is best, but if you need to you can just leave a first name); city & state; type out your verse; give verse reference and translation. Then leave any other comment you wish! You can leave a comment by clicking here.